Camp Nutley talk at Nutley Museum

CAMP NUTLEY
Plaque dedication, historical talk
September 22, 2011

From 1952 to 1957 the U.S. Army had antiaircraft gun bases in our area to defend the George Washington Bridge from aerial attack (presumably from Russian bombers).
These bases were scattered on both sides of the Hudson River and locally were near Newark Airport, up in Belleville Park and right here in Nutley near the Passaic River where the current ball fields, tennis courts and hockey rink stand today.  The Nutley base was some 11 miles from the bridge and its four 90mm guns could fire up to 22 projectiles/minute/gun, radar-guided and capable of being detonated near a target.  Nutley Historical Society was recently contacted by a former commander of “Camp Nutley” (as the base was referred to locally) and reminded of its existence. We will be dedicating a plaque on the premises where the base stood (on Park Avenue across from Parks and Rec building, near the parking lot) onThursday, Sept. 22 at 4 p.m. 
A presentation by the commander will be held at the Nutley Museum, 65 Church Street, that same evening at 7 p.m.

https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf

Advertisements